BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Welcome to PB Planet!

If you like picture books, peanut butter, or both, you've crash-landed in the right spot. Fluff your reading pillow, grab a spoon, and stay awhile!

Monday, August 10, 2009

PB Planet Spotlight: William's Ninth Life

(An In-Case-You-Missed-It Review) Big PB Planet applause for William's Ninth Life by Minna Jung, illustrated by Vera Rosenberry (Orchard Books, 1993). In this beautifully-illustrated PB, a skinny old cat named William and his skinny old human, Elizabeth, live in a simple little cottage by the sea. They love each other more than anything or anyone. But one day, a mysterious sea-colored cat appears and tells William that his eighth life is about to end, and that William must choose his new, ninth life. The strange cat shows him many wonderful options--the adventurous life of a pirate cat, the worshipped life of an Egyptian cat, the pampered life of a rich woman's cat, etc. What will William choose? A gorgeous heartstring-tugger, especially for you cat lovers! Zoom on over to your local used bookstore and bring a copy back to your home planet today!

4 comments:

Linda said...

I did miss this one, but it sounds like a winner. I'll check it out.

Ame Dyckman said...

Hi, Linda! Yes, I feel lucky to have found this one, so I had to share it! When you get a copy, be sure to notice the little illustration on the "W" that starts the story. I somehow mentally glossed over in my first two readings, and it really adds to the backstory and the whole overall "tale with heart" experience. *sniff* Okay, now I've GOT to go do something silly, or I'm gonna start bawling!

Jeanne said...

This sounds wonderful - I will add it to my list for when I get to unlock the chain to my workdesk and go to the library!

Ame Dyckman said...

Hi, Jeanne! You poor thing--I know you're swamped right now. But remember, little breaks (and little treats) will help keep you going. So unchain, go get this PB, and have some PB! ;)

Blog Archive