BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Welcome to PB Planet!

If you like picture books, peanut butter, or both, you've crash-landed in the right spot. Fluff your reading pillow, grab a spoon, and stay awhile!

Sunday, November 29, 2009

John Rocks! Art Rocks! (And Space Rocks!)

Hey, PBnauts! Have a good Thanksgiving? Hope so! Healthy? Hope so! Big stuff on PB Planet today... let's get started!

First, a well-deserved CONGRATULATIONS KITTY to awesome guy and STNY agent John M. Cusick on the sale of his debut novel! Girl Parts was purchased (at auction!) by Candlewick Press, editor Deb Noyes-Wayshak. Audio rights purchased (at auction too!) by Tim Ditlow at Brilliance Audio. UK and ANZ rights are still being discussed. WOW, way to go, John!

Continuing today's lotsa-love theme... I have a new fave illustrator to rave over! Joining the brilliant Sir John Burningham, Polly Dunbar, Russel Ayto, Peter Brown (and newcomers Neil Numberman and Leeza Hernandez) in Ame's "Dang, They're Fantastic!" Hall o' Children's Book Illustrator Fame is... ROSS COLLINS!

(Here's a pic of Ross Collins I stole off his website. But since I'm sitting here saying how totally rad he is, he won't get mad, right?)

If you're thinking that you've heard of him before here on PB Planet, I owe you a gold star! I'd Spotlighted his fabulously funny Dear Vampa around Halloween. It was so awesome, I had to check out some of his other stuff, too. Here, have a peek at these great Ross Collins PBs!

Alvie Eats Soup by Ross Collins (Arthur A. Levin Books, Scholastic Press, 2002). As the title suggests, Alvie eats soup. The problem? Alvie only eats soup--soup for every meal! His folks try everything to get Alvie to eat anything else, but nothing works. Worse, Alvie's grandma Francesca the gourmet chef is coming to town! (You'll love the pics of steadfast Alvie, especially the soup spoon tucked behind Alvie's ear like a pencil!)

Germs by Ross Collins (Bloomsbury Children's Books, 2004). Moralistic Pox is ridiculed by the other germs--Pus, Rash, and Snot--at the Germ Academy. When he's assigned to infect a cute little girl, will he be able to do it? A super-fun introduction to the whole germ/defenses releationship, and the absolute cutest disgusting book you'll ever see!

Jack and the Dreamsack by Laurence Anholt, illustrated by Ross Collins (Bloomsbury Children's Books, 2003). The most imaginative, beautiful, fabulous children's "dreamscape" fantasy ever. EVER!

The No-Nothings and Their Baby by Anne Mazer, illustrated by Ross Collins (Arthur A. Levine Books, Scholastic Press, 2000). Riotous illustrations accompany the tale of the world's "simplest" (and by simplest, I mean "dumbest," but I didn't want to be mean) new parents. (Love their laundry line, their car, and their crazy get-ups!)

The Three Grumpies by Tamra Wight, illustrated by Ross Collins (Bloomsbury Children's Books, 2003). When a girl wakes up on the wrong side of the bed, Grumpy, Grumpier, and Grumpiest follow her about all day. (And, they're really rather fetching in their stripey sweater accessories!)

After all this PB goodness, I had to check out one of Mr. Collins' MGs, too!

Medusa Jones by Ross Collins (Arthur A. Levine Books, Scholastic, Inc., 2008). All your fave Greek myth monsters as mid-grade misfits! From the amazing first line ("Pleeeaase can I turn them to stone?") to the climactic ending, you'll love Medusa and pals' efforts to get along with the annoying but beautiful Champions. Hysterically funny B&W illustrations throughout. (And how awesome are those headsnakes?)

The prolific Mr. Collins has other books, too--go check 'em out!

Now, because I like you: here's the promised pic of my space rock! It's a tektite, a natural glass formed when a meteorite hits and melts the rock around it. It feels like the sucked-down inside of a peppermint, and smells a bit like a cotton ball.(I didn't taste it, so I don't know what it tastes like.) Isn't it cool? (Okay, so I'm prone to fits of geekness. Shhh, don't tell.)

Tomorrow is Monkeykid's birthday, and I've got a whole lotta little cupcakes (PB? I wish! Not allowed at school) to bake, so I'll see ya Wednesday, PBnauts!

5 comments:

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

Great post, Ame! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Monkeykid!!! : )

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh, I can't believe I am not familiar with any of those books! I'll be sure to check them out!

Jeanne said...

Thanks for the heads-up on illustrator Ross Collins- I'll keep an eye out for him.
Now check this out - I just saw your rock pic - hadn't read post yet. Look again. It looks like a woman in the bath viewed from directly above her ... the rock is her hair and her arms are bent outward but under the blue, circling water. Even reminds me of a famous painting - maybe Van Gogh, not sure. I love it!
And Happy Birthday to you-know-who!
jeanne

Ame Dyckman said...

Thanks, everybody! Thanks for sharing my excitement about a cool illustrator, thanks for sharing book love, thanks for the birthday wishes for Monkeykid, and Jeanne, thanks for showing me a new way to look at that pic. (It's that whole Illustrator Eye thing you have!) I stared at this for a full minute before I had a "HOORAY, I SEE IT!" moment. (Like when they had those Stare-eograms at the mall, remember? But those would take me like, an hour!) Cheers, PBnauts!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Blog Archive